June 27, 2008

Blogging is good for you

Everybuddy thought I was silly when I said I started blogging to keep my mind off my problems after major back surgery. But I knew blogging is good for you.

Howl if you still want to, but consider the May 2008 Scientific American article "Blogging — It's Good for You," which is about studying the therapeutic value of blogging:

". . . Research shows that it improves memory and sleep, boosts immune cell activity . . . and even speeds healing after surgery. . . . Scientists now hope to explore the neurological underpinnings at play, especially considering the explosion of blogs. According to Alice Flaherty, a neuroscientist at Harvard University and Massachusetts General Hospital, the placebo theory of suffering is one window through which to view blogging. As social creatures, humans have a range of pain-related behaviors, such as complaining, which acts as a 'placebo for getting satisfied,' Flaherty says. Blogging about stressful experiences might work similarly. . . ."


Dogs have stressful experiences, like my recent veterinary emergency. I don't complain about that 'cuz I'm grateful to be able to walk and be pain-free.


But I do admit to whining about what a dog-un-friendly world it is. If only I were allowed to sit-stay and write at more cafes and wineries. . . .


No comments: